All sponsored scholarships have their own guidelines stated on the OBAP web-site. Adherence to all of the guidelines is mandatory. Beyond the sponsored scholarship requirements are the scholarship committee's criteria for recommendation. They are as follows:
The candidate must;
- You must be a dues current member at the time of application. Participation in OBAP community activities is weighed heavily.
- Have at least a Private Pilot's License or military equivalent, if pursuing a flying related scholarship. (Except Wings Financial and Duane Moorer Scholarships)
- Interview with the Scholarship committee prior to being selected.
- Submit an essay describing his/her journey through life and why you are pursuing an OBAP scholarship. Only one essay needed for multiple applications. All essays are to be submitted via email to the scholarship committee. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete all appropriate applications. This requirement maximizes your chances of getting one of the other scholarships in the event you do not get your first choice.
- If selected, provide a current photograph for publication.
- Obtain two (2) LORs (Letters of Recommendation), at least one from a current OBAP member. That OBAP member is responsible for conducting a face to face interview prior to the committee's interview. If that member is not available to conduct the face to face interview, they must ensure that either they or another current OBAP member does a phone interview. All of their contact (the OBAP interviewer) information must be included with the LOR. The interviewer must send your LOR from their email address to obapscholarships@OBAP.org.
- Applications are due by May 24th, of the current year of the convention. (Please check current convention date online.)
- Must have completed some type of professional development or continuing education, relative to the career field being pursued in the aerospace industry. (Private Pilot License acceptable for Pilot applicants, unless otherwise stated.)
- All recipients must start the funding process within six months of receiving the "go-ahead" email from the Executive Director. Training must be completed within 2 years of receiving the scholarship.