All sponsored scholarships have their own guidelines stated on the OBAP web-site. Adherence to all of the guidelines is mandatory. Beyond the sponsored scholarship requirements are the scholarship committee's criteria for recommendation. They are as follows:
The candidate must;
- You must be a dues current member at the time of application. Participation in OBAP community activities is weighed heavily.
- Have at least a Private Pilot's License or military equivalent, if pursuing a flying related scholarship. (Except Wings Financial and Duane Moorer Scholarships)
- Interview with the Scholarship committee prior to being selected.
- Submit an essay describing his/her journey through life and how receiving the OBAP scholarship will impact your career goals. Only one essay needed for multiple applications. However, ensure the essay contents reflect the scholarships/s for which you are applying. All essays are to be submitted via email to the scholarship committee along with all other required documents. Send to email@example.com.
- Complete all appropriate applications. This requirement maximizes your chances of getting one of the other scholarships in the event you do not get your first choice.
- If selected, provide a current photograph for publication.
- Obtain two (2) LORs (Letters of Recommendation), at least one from a current OBAP member. All of their contact (the OBAP interviewer) information must be included with the LOR. Again, please include these documents with all other documents in ONE email. You will be interviewed by a member of the scholarship committee.
- Applications are due by May 10th, of the current year of the convention. (Please check current convention date online.)
- Must have completed some type of professional development or continuing education, relative to the career field being pursued in the aerospace industry. (Private Pilot License acceptable for Pilot applicants, unless otherwise stated.)
- Training must be completed within 1 year of receiving the scholarship unless particular scholarship states otherwise or the donor delays the process.
Post Scholarship Award Procedures:
Upon receipt of a scholarship, the recipients must complete three (3) mandatory items in order to receive funding.
1. Recipient must download and sign the official Acknowledgement and Acceptance Form (AAF) and send a soft copy to the scholarship committee.
2. Recipient must send a Letter of Appreciation (LOA) to the donor of their particular scholarship and forward a soft copy to the scholarship committee.
3. Recipient must provide an invoice from the training facility to be used. Included on the invoice should be the following:
- Name and address of training facility
- Point of contact within that organization
- All pertinent contact numbers
- The type of training to be accomplished
- Estimated date of completion
- Cost of the training
We encourage you to send all three items in ONE email.
Once ALL three requirements are met and are received at firstname.lastname@example.org, the scholarship committee will send you an acknowledgement that all documents have been received and will approve the disbursement of funds so that you can begin training within thirty (30) days. The check amount (if your scholarship was a cash award) will not exceed the value of the scholarship awarded. All inquiries regarding the status of scholarship disbursements should be directed to email@example.com or 800-JET-OBAP/7084497755.
If it is not possible to obtain an invoice that accurately represents the training to be completed, the recipient must contact the Scholarship Committee to work through the details. In this instance, all parties must exercise patience in the process. We must keep in mind that these procedures are in place to protect the integrity of our donors, our scholarship recipients and OBAP.
- OBAP awards scholarship and awaits "Acknowledgement and Acceptance Form" (AAF), a copy of your Letter of Appreciation (LOA) and a training/funding invoice from you.
- Upon receipt, the Scholarship committee will acknowledge all items have been received. Within 30 days, you should be able to start your training. Congratulations!